Flooding and Sewage Back-up Prevention
If your home or business is located in an area subject to periodic flooding or where sewage backups have occurred it’s important to implement preventive or proactive measures to prevent and/or minimize the nature and extent of flooding and back-up damage.
- Waterproofing the building foundation and/or sealing cracks in foundation floor or walls
- Installation of a check valve or shut-off valve on the building sewer close to where it enters the structure.
**Make sure you check with the proper sewer authority prior to taking this action!
- Raising or removing any sink, toilet, washing machine, etc. in the basement that may be subject to backups when the sewer system surcharges.
- Purchasing or installing a sump pump to pump out water that collects in the low point of the basement
- Ensure that building gutter downspouts and drains are directed away from the foundation and toward low points away from the structure
- Try to keep furniture and valuables above flood levels where flooding has previously occurred
- If minor flooding occurs, follow the water to its point-of-entry and seal cracks or defects to the extent possible.
Remember, an ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure.
Please remember flood insurance is also vitally important where properties are known to be in floodplains or flood prone areas.
More information on prevention and flood insurance is available on the FEMA website.
SERVPRO® of Archuleta, Montezuma, La Plata & San Juan Countiesr specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
SERVPRO® of Archuleta, Montezuma, La Plata & San Juan Counties is here to help you 24/7/365 with any water & flood damage and restoration issue.
Please call us at 970-259-6184